Our Lady of Sorrows Cathedral – Kitovu is the seat of the Bishop of Masaka Diocese. It is recognized as the centre of Catholic life in this Diocese and recognized by the members of “WORLD MONUMENT WATCH” as a WORLD MONUMENT.
After transferring the seat of the Bishop from Villa Maria Parish, the construction of the present day Cathedral begun in 1920 up to 1927 using the architectural plan drawn by Bro. Martin and construction work done by Bro. Bonaventure. Rev. Fr. Augustine Mukasa the Parish Priest (1958 -1959) replaced the corrugated iron sheets with tiles, and also replaced the drums with towers carrying bells.
The Cathedral has a sitting capacity of 600 people.
For more information about the Cathedral, contact the:
Fr. Kakumba Gerald
P. O. Box 70 Masaka
Tel: 0772 330423