Sunday, April 16th was celebrated in the Diocese of Masaka as Divine Mercy Sunday. The Diocese of Masaka celebrated it at the Parish of Devine Mercy in Kyabakuza. The Diocese also celebrated the Day of People with Disabilities. The celebration of mass was led by Rt. Rev. Bishop. Serverus Jjumba, assisted by the Vicar General of the Diocese, Msgr. Rev. Dominic Ssengooba, Pastoral Coordinator, Rev. Fr. Ssendege James, Parish Priest of Kyabakuza, Rev Fr. Jerome Ssekiwunga and many other clergy. In his homily, the Bishop asked us to be channels of compassion for our fellow human beings.
After the celebration of mass, there was a fundraiser to start on the construction of the new church which is expected to cost more than UGX 1.5 billion. The first phase will cost an estimated 500 million Ugandan shillings. Many people joined in to raise money for this work. Among the many who contributed included :
- Friends of the Bishop-UGX 25m;
- Mr. John B. Walugembe of Kalungu Traders-UGX 10m;
- Prof. John Ddumba Ssentamu on behalf of the Centenary Group-Shs.15m, and for his family-UGX 3m;
- Mr. & Mrs. Ssegawa Sotias-UGX 10m;
- Papal Knight, Mr. Katongole-UGX 10m;
- Mr. & Mrs. Yiga Joseph of Steel & Tube-UGX 5m;
- Hon. Abed Bwanika, area Member of Parliament donated 100 bags of cement;
- Hon. Nakakande, Woman Member of Parliament of Masaka City-UGX1m.
The Mayor of Masaka City, Hon. Namayanja Florence promised to install solar lights on the road from Kyabakuza in the town to the Parish premises. She also proposed to submit to the council that plans for buildings of all faiths should be exempted from paying taxes among others.
Many other people have responded to this call. After that, Bishop. opened a newly constructed modern house for the clergy. The Chief Guest, Emmanuel Katongole was represented by Ms. Buyaaya.